Teacher Certifications and Endorsements
Since the South Dakota Legislature passed the “Braille Bill” in 1991, a great deal of work has been done to develop a training program to ensure “competent instruction” as required by SDCL 13.37.31. The South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired works closely with Northern State University to develop the courses required for the certifications and endorsements.
South Dakota Law Resources
- 13-37-29. Blind student defined for purposes of braille literary assessment and educational services.
- 13-37-30. Braille literary assessment and educational services for blind students.
- 13-37-31. Competency of braille instructors -- Promulgation of rules.
MSEd Educational Studies
Special Education (MSEd) with Visual Impairment Specialization: Program: Graduate - Special Education - Northern State University
NSU’s online or on campus program is designed for educators who are seeking the expertise needed to work with students with visual impairments. This program is designed for certiﬁed teachers who are looking to make a career change to help fulﬁll a market demand for special education teachers with a specialization in visual impairments. The program covers topics such as learner development, learning environments, curricular content knowledge, assessment, instructional planning and strategies, collaboration, and professional learning and ethical practices.
Through a unique partnership with the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually located next to campus, students have the opportunity to learn Braille and experience the most up-to-date access technologies for visual impairments. The Visual Impairment Specialization provides the preparation to become a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI).
Courses focus on:
• Special Education Core Content
• Evidence-based curriculum, instructional strategies, and behavioral strategies
• The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Specialty Set Standards for Blind and Visual Impairments
• High-Leverage Practices in Special Education in the areas of Assessment, Collaboration, Instruction, and Social/Emotional/Behavioral Needs
Teacher of the Visually Impaired - program requirements
Teacher of the Visually Impaired - Program: Blind/Visually Impaired Endorsement - Northern State University - Acalog ACMS™
K-12 Braille Education Endorsement - program requirements
Braille Education Endorsement may be issued on any certificate or as a stand-alone certificate.
K-12 Braille Education Endorsement - Program: K-12 Braille Education Endorsement - Northern State University - Acalog ACMS™